Safety Net: Brisbane, Dandenong and Melbourne
Victorian Courts: Melbourne Metropolitan, Suburban and Regional Victorian
Networkers in Victoria are trained community members who provide free, non-legal support, information and referral services on an impartial and non-judgemental basis to all persons, including applicants, respondents, victims, witnesses, defendants, and their families and friends before, during and after their court experiences. Many court users assisted by Court Network have no legal representation.
Court Network service provides an important contribution towards court users accessing justice, particularly for more vulnerable and disadvantaged court users. Court users may be attending court for the first time, be unrepresented, be unfamiliar with court rules and processes, lack knowledge about what is expected of them, feel unsafe, not being able to understand and participate effectively in the court processes, and be in need of someone to listen, provide support, and to assist them in navigating the court system.
Main duties and expectations of our volunteering role:
- Provide a welcoming, kind, and supportive human connection to all court users (witnesses, victims, accused, and family and friends)
- Actively engage with court users, either face to face or virtually, supporting and assisting them to navigate and fully participate in their court experience
- Recognise and respond to individual service user needs and concerns
- Provide service users with support, information and referral options and choices
- Promote service user safety
- Work independently as well as within a team
- Follow instructions and practice guidelines
- Have good digital literacy and confidence; record keeping, emailing, communication and information sharing
Our volunteers must have strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to foster inclusivity and a person-centred approach to supporting all court users, impartially and non-judgementally.
This multifaceted and interesting role is best suited to someone who is proactive, a ‘people-person’, passionate about improving access to justice and is wanting to volunteer on an ongoing and regular basis.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Court Network. If you’re interested in volunteering, please complete our Expression of Interest. Our recruitment is responsive to our service requirements. Please click here to sign up!